Life Life Comfortably Once Again with Physical Therapy
When you have chronic back pain, you may feel that every aspect of your life is interrupted. Pain at work can lead to reduced productivity, sick days, and increased stress.
Pain at home can prevent you from being able to take care of yourself and your loved ones. Chronic back pain may even make it difficult to exercise and remain active, which may lead to even more pain, weight gain, and other problems associated with a sedentary lifestyle.
The good news is, even if you have chronic back pain right now, you don’t necessarily have to live with it forever. Please contact our physical therapy office to schedule a consultation with a physical therapist who can help you start to feel better and have more control in your life.
How can physical therapy help with chronic back pain relief?
Physical therapy is recognized by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as one of the “first lines” of treatment for most types of chronic pain.
Altogether, our approach to diagnosing and treating back pain can benefit you by offering:
- Increased understanding of your pain experience
- Increased sense of control of your health
- Improved activity tolerance
- Improved productivity
- Decreased downtime (unlike back surgeries, which can require months of challenging recovery, often with little or no symptom improvement)
- Lowered healthcare costs
- Improved cost-effectiveness
- Decreased reliance on pain medications or invasive procedures
- Reduced risk of recurring issues and worsening tissue damage
- Improved spinal health
- Longer-lasting relief
Treat your pain with the help of a physical therapist
Back pain affects most of us at some point, but for some people the pain can persist for at least three months or more.
While alleviating pain is an important goal, it’s also critical to identify and address the contributing factors leading to the chronic back pain. Addressing root causes reduces your risk of recurring problems and long-term dysfunction—otherwise, pain can just keep coming back once you stop taking pain medication.
This is one of the reasons why working with a physical therapist is so valuable. Physical therapy services like postural assessments, strength and range of motion testing, and tests of balance, motor control, and coordination can give us a lot of insight into why your back pain is occurring and why the underlying issue developed in the first place.
Your physical therapist can then prescribe specific interventions to resolve these root factors while at the same time prescribing symptom-alleviating services.
In other words, we seek to resolve the “why’s” of your pain while also resolving the pain itself!
Here are a few specific things you can expect when working with a physical therapist for your back pain:
- A personalized treatment plan, designed specifically for you. Physical therapy services that are effective for alleviating chronic back pain include soft tissue massage, joint mobilizations, spinal manipulations, therapeutic exercise, therapeutic pain education, and non-invasive modalities like electrical stimulation. We can make practical recommendations on stress management, diet, and other lifestyle matters, and refer you to other providers as needed. We can prescribe and fit you for adaptive equipment and support devices like braces or orthotics, teach you safer ways to move or complete daily tasks with efficiency and safety, and help you start feeling better so you can exercise regularly again, which we know is good for spinal health and mental well-being.
- Discussing your end goals. Helping you make progress with objective measurements like strength, pain levels, and range of motion is important. But we also will take the time to learn about the things you really want to be able to do and achieve once your back pain gets better. This includes very specific functional activities like playing a round of golf or being able to walk your dog around the block without stopping. What matters to you is what matters to us! We’ll always keep your goals in mind as we create a treatment plan so you can really feel and see your progress in therapy. By keeping your goals and personal vision in the front and center of your plan of care, we also help you have more FUN in your physical therapy sessions!
- Assessing your needs. We’ll look at your body, find out about your medical and family background, compile a list of your symptoms (including pain, stiffness, and weakness or numbness in one or both legs), and learn more about your lifestyle and current challenges to help us clarify your diagnosis. A physical therapist can gain a lot of insight even from looking at your footwear, walking style, posture, and body mechanics, so come in comfortable clothing and be prepared to move.
Your physical therapist can even help you prepare for or recover from back surgery if this kind of procedure is eventually determined to be appropriate for your needs.
Get started today!
Physical therapy has been shown to be effective in treating back pain and it is safe for people of all ages and health backgrounds.
Contact Choice Rehabilitation today to schedule a physical therapy appointment and get back on the road to an active and pain-free lifestyle that you want and deserve.
Tags: physical health, chronic pain, Physical Therapy, physical activity, Physical Therapists, Natural treatment, natural pain relief, Health, aches and pains, health and wellness, healthy tips, wellness